Magnet therapy (also called magnetic therapy or magnotherapy) is a powerful force in health and recovery
Magnet therapy represents one of the cheapest and most widely available forms of energy therapy.
It is becoming widely recognised that the 21st century is putting undue stress on our bodies and immune systems. Processed food, pesticides and being bombarded with electrical pollution is taking its toll. Yet with better diet and the eradication of many deadly diseases, the possibility of our living to be 80 or 90 is practically taken for granted. To achieve this though, we will have to become familiar with ways of healing and maintaining our own bodies.
The general trend is to look for more natural ways of self-maintenance. Over the last few years, the public both in the UK and throughout the world are opening up to complementary and alternative medicine, actively searching for non- intrusive, drug-free and ultimately, safe methods that are known to work. We are entering a new era in self-managed health care, and ‘soft’ medical alternatives are increasingly preferred over drugs and surgery whenever possible. Magnotherapy is all of the above, and more.
Please find below extracts from an article written by Dr Mark Atkinson MBBS BsC (HONS) FRIPHH FCMA is a medical doctor, practitioner of integrated medicine and Vice President of the Complementary Medical Association. He specialises in the integrated treatment of chronic conditions such as arthritis and chronic fatigue by providing his clients with safe, effective and scientifically validated strategies designed to support the body’s natural healing processes.
In order to portray magnet therapy as a credible and effective therapeutic approach we need to:
- Distinguish between the facts and the theories related to magnet therapy.
- Provide testimonial evidence from professionals, celebrities and the general public
- Provide details of past, current and future research work.
FACTS – Magnetic therapy is not
- A miracle or magic bullet
- The answer to every illness & condition
- To be used by persons who are pregnant, wearing pacemakers, defibrillators, insulin pumps or other electro-insulin devices should not use magnetic therapy
- To be used when a diagnosis has not been established
- To replace certain medications needed for infections, diabetes or heart disease for example
Magnet therapy is
- Safe, with no side effects. The World Health Organization published a study in 1987 that essentially laid to rest the notion that magnets in the strengths commonly used for therapeutic uses have any detrimental effect on the human body.
- Popular. Used by an estimated 35 million customers in 22 countries use magnet therapy products, this equates to 1 in 7 Japanese, 1 in 200 American and 1 in 10,000 European households.
- Non-invasive and drug-free
- Anecdotally effective. There are thousands of testimonials available from patients who have used magnet therapy to treat a wide range of conditions.
- Used and recommended by professionals, the general public and sports personalities.
- Recorded in the history of most civilisations. The first usage is noted in Chinese writings (approx. 2000 B.C) on the use of magnetism with acupuncture. Ancient Hindu, Egyptian, Persian and Tibetan writings refer to the use of a lodestone. Cleopatra is said to have worn a lodestone on her forehead to forestall ageing.
Properties of Magnets – FACT
- Magnetic poles are always found in pairs. No matter how many times a magnet is cut there is always a North (-) pole, and a South (+) pole.
- The two poles are attracted to their opposites (North to South, South to North).
- Gauss refers to the designated strength of a magnetic field of energy. Surface gauss depends on thickness and size of the magnet. The Earth’s natural surface gauss is approximately 0.5 gauss. Gauss strength diminishes the further the distance from the magnetic field.
- Rare earth magnets such as Neodymium-Iron-Boron have permanent magnetic capabilities and are far more advanced than rubber and plastic magnets. Their characteristics and properties are stronger and very distinctive.
- With its permanence, high energy and depth of penetration, Neodymium leads the field of magnetism in pain therapy. Due to its power, Neodymium permits a much smaller and more manageable magnet to be applied to the parts of the body requiring magnetic energy.
Main research projects to date- FACT
- Recent research studies from major universities and medical colleges have shown the benefits of static magnets fields in relieving pain
- The Office of Alternative Medicine of the National Institute of Health, Washington, D.C., awarded a million dollar grant in 1997 for the study of what has been, until now, largely an Eastern and European phenomenon. Medical use of magnets is a reimbursable medical expense in over 50 countries worldwide.
- Baylor College of Medicine. Dr. Carlos Valbona in 1997 published a double-blind randomised controlled study of 50 patients who suffered from muscular or arthritis joint pain. 76% of the patients that were treated using permanent magnets, reported a significant decrease in arthritic joint and muscle pain vs. only 19% of placebo patients.
- New York Medical College Dr. Michael Weintraub, a clinical professor of neurology at New York Medical College, released a study in 1999 that showed he had significantly reduced the foot pain that afflicts millions of diabetics. Using magnetic insoles, nine out of ten diabetics reported a decrease in painful burning sensations, numbness and tingling vs. only a 22% improvement in the placebo group.
- Vanderbilt University Medical Centre found that between 80-90% of patients with pain related to sports injuries and accidents found relief after magnet treatments.
The following are reported effects of magnets – THEORY
- Improved circulation to the extremities
- Bone fractures heal up to 40% faster
- Oxygen absorption from the lung increases
- Greater resistance to infection and colds
- Speeds recovery of torn muscles, ligaments and tendons
- Reduces bruising and swelling
- Helps alleviate pain and improve mobility in arthritic joints
- Reduces cramps and chilblains
- Normalisation of blood pressure
- Improved scar healing after operation
- Encourages and improves the quality of sleep
- Acceleration of nerve regeneration and functional recovery
My theory is that applying static magnets activates the body’s natural healing mechanisms by helping cells to regain their natural electromagnetic field.
Quite Simple Really!
Dr Mark Atkinson MBBS BsC (HONS) FRIPHH FCMA is a medical doctor, practitioner of integrated medicine and Vice President of the Complementary Medical Association. He specialises in the integrated treatment of chronic conditions such as arthritis and chronic fatigue by providing his clients with safe, effective and scientifically validated strategies designed to support the body’s natural healing processes.
Usually products are chosen depending on the areas of the body which are to be targeted. Click here to see which type of magnetic therapy product can help certain conditions.
For our full range of Magnetic Therapy products, please click here.
Please note, when using magnet therapy:
Do not use during pregnancy. Do not use over the chest area immediately following a bypass operation. Not suitable for anyone using a pacemaker, defibrillator or insulin pumps must not use magnets as they can affect the pacemaker. Anyone with metal pins or plates, do not use excessively over the metal.
Important note: Anyone from the above groups should not sleep on a magnetic bed.
Disclaimer: Only opinions based upon our own personal experience or information detailed in academic journals or other publications is cited. This has been done exclusively for anyone who is interested in this subject but is not intended to replace proper analysis. We cannot accept responsibility and liability of any kind which may result from the application of this information. We always recommend to consult an expert to discuss any test results or get a full recommendation on the specific subject and specific to your situation by an expert.
This information is owned by SimplexHealth and you do NOT have the right to reprint, sell, auction or distribute this information.